Montag, 14. November 2011

Concatenating movies

After a long search I've come across QTCoffee link - a very useful collection of command line tools.
You can easily combine several quicktime movies to a single one, especially for technical trailers and black at the end this tool comes incredibly handy.

Many of the digital playouts I have to produce need different setups.

Here is an example:

catmovie
Bars.mov Black.mov Content.mov Black.mov
-self-contained -force-same-tracks
-o Outputmovie.mov

First tests seem very good - I hope I can use it more.

First caveat: Although concatenated movies of different formats will play back in QT player, after another conversion step the audio was garbled. I therefore use ProRes only before concatenating.


2 Kommentare:

  1. Yogi,

    take a look at http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html too.

    I've been using ffmpeg command line tools in a variety of projects that require automated video processing. You should be able to achieve the same goal and hopefully also solve the audio issue you experienced.

    Marcel

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hoi Marcel :)

    thanks for the pointer, I will check it out. There are always issues with specific codecs - I use ProRes and the (old) quicktime architecture, which many of those free tools that I tested seemed to choke on.

    I am also wondering about the new AVfoundation framework provided by Apple. I've read a tiny bit about it and it is supposed to be replacing Quicktime and very powerful. But so far, little to no idea how it works.

    AntwortenLöschen